Monday, January 26, 2015

Relevance and The e-Learning Certificate

My mind was restless and I was looking for my next challenge. I received an email from Joan Vandervelde promoting an E-learning and Online Graduate Certificate. I read the fine print and decided the program would enhance my ability to support a blended classroom. By the end of my first course, I had started my own website and blog. In all of the courses, the interaction between students and instructors has been tantalizing. The exposure to new resources, at times overwhelming, has been exciting. The experience has been both humbling and fulfilling. My mind is left to ask, "What's next?" 

In order to provide a snapshot of my journey, I have selected a few of the posts from my blog. 

The Beginning: An idealist first blog posted on February 13, 2011. 

E-Learning: Crayons and Computers: I predict e-Learning will lead to the masterpieces of tomorrow. Posted on March 4, 2011. 

The Virtual Modality: Feeling an unrefined confidence, I make the case for a new learning modality. Posted on March 5, 2012. 

Instructional Design: Enter David Merrill stage right with "demonstration, application, and relevance." You will also find one my earliest online usages of the phrase, "positive learning memories." Posted on June 13, 2012. 


Cultivating and Following Your Passion: I attached passion to work ethic as many others have done. See examples. Posted on May 11, 2013. 

A Teacher's Insight: We never fully know the future of those we teach. Posted on April 17, 2014. 

"Common Core"...The New Swear Word: My first mistake was to call the current debate about curriculum "moot." Posted on July 27, 2014. 

I am not a traditional blogger by any means. A daily mind dump is not required. I do not have a legion of followers hanging on or banging on my words. Hence, from an idealistic beginning I have settled into a therapeutic release of my thoughts. There's an occasional spike in the statistics when I reference my blog during an online course, but other than that my words simply drift in cyberspace. I assume that finding one's voice online is the same as finding it in life. What must one say in order to be heard? 

For me, relevance is the key. If we facilitate the creation of positive learning memories relevant to the students in front of us, then our effectiveness and efficiency as instructors increases significantly. The tools collected during my e-learning certification as well as the assignment for my internship reflect relevance. Enthusiasm, motivation, and positive learning memories will easily follow. I am excited about the road ahead. 

Merrill, D. (2008, August 11). Merrill on Instructional Design. Retrieved January 22, 2015, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_TKaO2-jXA&.

No comments:

Post a Comment